Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Sad times

We went up to Scotland to see my brother at the weekend, stopping over on Saturday night. I’m glad we went, it’s been a while since I’ve seen him. And it turned out to be the last opportunity. He lost his 12 month long battle with cancer on Monday morning. Still, I’d like to think he’s in a better place, now.

We kept the car an extra day so we could go across to see the family, then took it back yesterday and moved out of the marina to a quiet spot just above Swanley top lock.

Near bridge 10
We’ve arranged for a berth again tomorrow, and a car from Enterprise at Crewe, so we can go up for the funeral on Friday.
So we’ll be dropping back down through the 2 locks in the morning, back to the marina.

We were moored alongside NB Cecelia III, and the owners, Jim and Penny, arrived to oversee her being hauled out for bottom painting.
We had a good chat while I took some pictures of the operation. Pleasant couple.

Out she comes…
Unusual 4 blade propeller..
Jim and Penny, with Cecelia III in the background heading for the paint shop.
Locks 2, miles 1

13 comments:

Lesley NB Caxton said...

I am glad that you managed to see your Brother before he it was too late. Sad news like that makes your decision to move onto Seyella that much more right I guess - life is just too short.
Lesley

Adam said...

Sorry to hear about your brother, but it's good that you got to see him. I'm sure lots of people will be thinking of you on Friday.

Adam

Dogsontour by Greygal said...

Guys, so sorry to hear your news and another stark reminder that life is indeed much too brief. I hope we get the opportunity for a cuppa before you head off. We should be at the marina on Friday so we'll look you up on Saturday morning. Give him a great send off won't you?

Bruce in Sanity said...

Hi

Thinking of you at this time - I lost my brother in '99, so I know how it feels.

All the best

Bruce

Anonymous said...

Hi Geoff & Mags, Sorry to hear the very sad news about your Brother. John & Cathy-NB Marmaduke

Geoff and Mags said...

Thanks everyone for your kind comments and support. It really helps to know that people out there are thinking of us.
As Lesley and Greygal pointed out, you've got to "seize the day". You never know what's around the corner.

Greygal - we'll be stopping with Mag's son in Yorkshire on Friday night, but should be back sometime Saturday afternoon. Will look for you then.

Thanks again

Anonymous said...

Hi to you and your family having recently lost my dad I share your loss but as everyone has said it was good that you were able to see your brother in time.Take care. Ann(4evermmoore)

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about your loss I lost my dad recently so I can understand how you are feeling and am glad you got to see him in time. Ann (4evermoore) Kev is away but I am sure he will be reading your blog and will want to send his wishes to you.

Caddie said...

Geoff and Mags,
My condolences for the loss of your brother. I've been thinking of you every day when I would see no update on your site and hoping it would be good news when you returned. My thoughts are with you during this time.

Anonymous said...

We are thinking of you both. Bob and Jen (blog followers in Australia)

Anonymous said...

hey...

sorry to hear about your brother...
losing a person you love is really hard to let go... especially if the person is very close to you...

i lost my husband... and the sadden part is we were only married or three weeks but he was involved in an accident...

it has been 3 years already... but the scar is still hurting... people say it takes time so...
just keep moving forward and in time... it will be just a memory...

Unknown said...

Our best wishes for tomorrow

Geoff and Mags said...

Once again, thank you all for the support and sympathy. We're deeply touched that people we've never even met are thinking of us at this time. It means a lot.