Wednesday, October 01, 2008

A change of scenery….

We arrived at Pillings Lock Marina on Friday as planned, and pulled on to our allocated berth. The marina is a lot busier than last year, but there’re still moorings available.

Into Pillings Lock Marina
Moored up
Looking across the marina

In the afternoon I went into Loughborough to collect our hire car, then we popped over to see Dad and Ann in the evening.

We set off about 13:00 on Saturday, and had a steady drive up to Fylingthorpe, near Whitby. It’s always a bit of a shock to the system, driving again after a couple of months on the boat, and I get a little tense, so was pleased to arrive at our destination, Middlewood Farm.

The “holiday home” (static caravan!) is actually pretty good, not very old, well equipped and it seems very big compared to a narrowboat. It’s actually 12x35 feet with 2 bedrooms.

Home for the week
It’s about 10 minutes walk down a rough track to Robin Hoods Bay and the beach. A bit too rough and steep for Mags, though.

Meg’s first encounter with the sea was a bit of a surprise for her. She dashed across to a rock pool left behind by the tide and took a big slurp. Her expression was a picture! She had another go, just to make sure it did taste revolting, and now splashes through the waves keeping her mouth firmly shut.

Robin Hoods Bay from the low tide line
Monday we drove over to North Yorkshire, back to Bentham and Ingleton for Mag’s visit to the GP for her annual MOT. We’ve got to go back again in about 3 weeks time to discuss the results of the tests taken this time. Then yesterday we went into Whitby for a walk around and to get a bit of shopping. But the weather has turned poor, wet and windy, so we didn’t stay out long.

Today was a lot better. We’ve still got the wind, but the sky was clear and the sun bright. So we did the touristy bit and went to have a look at Goathland, Heartbeat’s Aidensfield. Even at this time of year and midweek it was pretty busy, so I dread to think what it’s like on a Bank Holiday!
Still, it’s a pretty village, and with the North York Moors Railway on the doorstep, was an obvious choice for a series set in the ‘60s.

Me and Meg outside Scripps’ Garage
We had a circuitous drive around either end of the visit, up and down gradients as severe as 1:3. I’m glad there’s a dismantled railway, now a cycle track, running at the back of the site. It’s been great for my final preparation for the Great North Run at the weekend. I’d have done myself a mischief running on the roads!

Which reminds me. All of you who thought of putting some money on my sponsorship web page but haven’t got round to it….. please click on the link on the right! At the time of writing I’m £110 short of my target. I’d like to get there for the weekend. Ta lots.
And if you want to watch over 50,000 people sweating around a 13.1 mile course, tune in to BBC1 on Sunday at 09:30 for live coverage.

We’ll be back afloat on Sunday evening, driving straight back down from Newcastle Upon Tyne after the race. I hope I’ll be able to unbend myself out of the car when we get back!

2 comments:

ModJoey said...

Beautiful photos. Question. Are you Seyella or is that the name of your boat?

Geoff and Mags said...

Hiya Modjoey
Thanks for the comment about the pics. I do my best!
The boat is called Seyella, named for the Elvish Goddess of time and destiny. She's a 57' long x 6'10" wide narrowboat, built to cruise the inland waterways of the UK. I guess you won't see many in Minnesota...
I'm Geoff, the better half is Mags and the canine companion is called Meg.
Regards,